Recipe for a delicious Affogato
Author: Darren Date Posted:27 July 2011
This week at Blue Pod we’ve decided to pay homage to one of the simplest, most delicious, yet strangely also most overlooked, desserts on the planet: the Affogato.
“Affogato” (full title “Affagato al Caffe”) is Italian for “drowned in coffee”. The traditional Italian dessert consists simply of one or two scoops of vanilla ice-cream topped with espresso and liqueur.
The hot-cold combination of ice cream and coffee makes for a deeply gratifying winter’s night indulgence.
Here’s how you can make one for yourself:
- One or two scoops of high quality vanilla ice cream
- One shot of strong espresso coffee (if you have your own Blue Pod coffee machine, we recommend you use our smooth, creamy ‘Aroma Top’ pod)
- 20 – 30 ml of your favorite liqueur (we used Galliano – but Amaretto, Frangelico, Kahlua and Bailey’s all work well!)
- Put your ice-cream in a regular-sized glass.
- Pour hot espresso over the ice-cream (the ice-cream should melt).
- Top with your liqueur-of-choice.
- Serve! Drink it like coffee or eat the melted ice-cream with a spoon.
Don’t hesitate to add your own personal touch to our recipe. You may want to use chocolate or choc-chip ice-cream instead. Another idea is to add dark or white chocolate sprinkles, or even cinnamon or cardamom.